Traveling during the summer or for holidays can potentially put your home at risk to be burglarized. It is imperative to take security precautions to ensure that your home does not fall victim to holiday thieves. When the amount of people traveling increases that also directly affects the amount of crime in any given area, because of a higher volume of traffic in the area, and most people are absent from their homes as well. The following tips will help you keep your home and your family safe this holiday season.
- Have your home security evaluated.
- One of our residential locksmith technicians can come out to your home and evaluate the security grade of your locks as well as suggest any changes or improvements you may want to make.
- Our technicians are able to assist you with installing safes in your home to keep valuables secure while you are away.
- We even have locksmith technicians who specialize in home security and surveillance that can come out to install a closed-circuit television system in your home as well.
- Make it look like someone is always home.
- Leave your lights on a timer so at night it will appear that your home is occupied, this will help to ward off criminals.
- Leave a vehicle parked in your driveway to make thieves think someone is home.
- Have a trusted friend or neighbor pick up your mail so unwanted visitors don’t notice a growing pile of mail in your mailbox, another indication that the home is empty.
- Do not post travel plans on social media.
- While it may be exciting to share your plans with friends, other people see your trip to Grandma’s house in Florida as a chance to burglarize your home.
- Another thing to keep in mind in relation to social media, don’t post your new lavish gifts online because it provides unwanted eyes a look into what you have that they could potentially try to take.
- Unplug your garage door openers.
- Some thieves think outside of the box, and rather than try to gain access to your home through an entry door, they use the garage door with a universal garage door opener remote. If you unplug your garage door opener before departing this will leave thieves stuck in their tracks.
- Ensure that you lock your garage door if you operate it manually.
We hope that these simple tips will make a big difference in your lives this holiday season. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any residential or automotive locksmith needs you may have this holiday season please give us a call. Locksmith Services Inc. Phone 206-935-7538